- The view from Ku De Ta at the top of Marina Bay Sands where we had our seven year anniversary dinner. I had black cod for the first time. It could be dangerously habit-forming. We had dinner overlooking all the ships outside the port (thinking how much Sean Day would have loved the view!) and then had drinks overlooking the city center.
- Singapore chili and black pepper crab, introduced to us by Whitney's high school friend Rohini. So messy, but so delicious.
- The Singapore Zoo-- highlights being the playful otters, the elephant feeding, and the orangutans swinging overhead!
- Singing Journey with our cab driver on the way home from Ku De Ta, then being treated to his nuanced analysis of why Steve Perry's voice is so compelling and why Steve Augeri and all subsequent lead singers have been such a comparative let-down.
- Getting to cook a meal in a kitchen for probably the last time until Istanbul. Plus, savoring the ability to drink the tap water without fear of gastro-intestinal fireworks.
- Finding Ben and Jerry's... about as far away from the Vermont factory as you can get, but it still tastes delicious.
- The terrible light show at Marina Bay Sands. People had described it like it would put the Bellagio to shame. It did not. Maybe the stiff breeze didn't help, but it was a fairly awful light show. Plus, they ripped off some of the music from Ocean's Eleven in Las Vegas. I thought you were better than that Singapore.
- 42 Singapore dollars for two gin and tonics at Ku De Ta. About 35 USD. Reminded me why it's so nice to go out to dinner with my mother who doesn't drink.
- Whitney ordering roti with condensed milk, insisting to the waitress that her sister had spent lots of time in Singapore and that this was a "really authentic dish." The woman was confused but rolled with it. Some poor guy in the back makes up a condensed milk drink and then pours it over the roti. It was quite tasty and we were very satisfied with our authenticity. We spoke to Annie (Whitney's sister) later that night and she laughed at us because we were supposed to have coffee with condensed milk and then a roti separately. Oh well, our new dish was tasty.
- Our inability to find orzo for the dinner recipe and using the next best thing -- alphabet pasta. Childhood meets adulthood.